Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Locating and Obtaining resources

Using Library

The resources so far have been mainly located from the library catalogues (Monash Library and Swinburne University Library) and websites (Google and wikipedia).

A few books were obtained from the catalogues but most of other information were from the websites.

When using library catalogues, I used the Quick Search function and focused on using 'keyword' and 'subject' indexes. As I did not know any specific books or authors who are experts in the areas of writing on Alexandrian library, it was easier to start the search by locating the items through keyword and subject search.




Using Library Staff

A reference librarian was consulted when researching this topic. At the beginning of the consultation, I was not very specific about the types of information I was looking for. However, I soon realised that, during my research so far, I have been having some problems finding resources for journal articles. And I have found it hard to access databases (as I do not know many databases that may assist me in this research). I spoke to the Reference Librarian who said that she remembered seeing information regarding this topic from some databases. She could not recall the name of the databases at the time when I was with her. So she took my contact details and said that she would get back to me.

Later she emailed me and referred me to two databases. She has informed me that she had seen some interesting articles about the Alexandrian library from these two databases, accessed through the Monash library websites. However, you do need the student or stuff access codes. They are: LISA (Library and Information Science Abstracts) and ALISA (Australian Library and Information Science Abstracts).

For more general information about these databases:
- ALISA

I entered the databases through Monash University's library websites. Entered the library page, then into the Databases section. LISA and ALISA was located by using Browse by Name search. As a staff member, I was able to gain access to the databases with user name and passwords.

When I first tried getting into the databases, I could not retrieve any articles about the topic. I decided to try again later.

On the second day, I tried to gain access to the databases again. This time, many information and items relating to 'Alexandrian library' or ' Library of Alexandria' did come up. However, there were too many and not all are directly relevant to the scope of this research. It took me a long time to filter out the relevant items and sort through the lists. And yet, I was not very satisfied with the quality and contents of most the articles that I obtained through LISA and ALISA.

While I was reading through the materials, it is in my experience that the information from the books and websites are more comprehensive and easy to understand comparing to the contents of the articles obtained from the databases. The databases also have more requirements for users to download or access the full text (the databases only show the abstracts). Many of the item came up from the databases research are related to current news items or general information about the modern Alexandrian library at the time of the publishing.



No comments:

Post a Comment